In This Issue:
- A Message from the Leaders of NBME and ECFMG|FAIMER
- A Message to Applicants—ECFMG|FAIMER is Open and Processing Your Applications
We recognize that the disruptions to USMLE testing present an extraordinary challenge for all of you. Finding a means to restore USMLE testing is a top organizational priority. Our goal is to collaborate with you as we determine how to assure rapid and safe resumption of testing across a variety of venues. We recognize the impact on both U.S. domestic students as well as those of you in our international community.
Status on Prometric Testing
We are receiving reports that several Prometric test centers are erroneously listed as open, and some examinees with confirmed slots were met with closed centers when Prometric resumed limited testing on May 1st. This has led to a confusing and difficult situation for examinees. We are deeply disturbed by the experience you may be having and are working to immediately find resolution to these issues.
Prometric CEO, Roy Simrell, is aware of our shared dissatisfaction with the current situation and the need for a clear and immediate plan to rectify the problems experienced by examinees. We have been, and continue to be, in daily contact with Prometric to represent the needs of the examinees and faculty to improve the execution of the safe resumption of testing and Prometric’s communication with examinees. We have emphasized the impact their actions have on this critical community and the need to ensure examinees are provided timely and reliable information.
We expect capacity constraints and challenges to continue. For this reason, we are working hard to design and deliver solutions even outside of Prometric test centers.
Alternate Delivery of USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 3
We have several efforts underway to resume testing and to address testing backlog and capacity constraints. We have incorporated the suggestions and ideas we have received from medical students, medical school faculty, state medical boards, and our international partners in this work, and will seek to partner even more closely as we move forward with implementation. We expect to have better insight on feasible alternatives and associated requirements within the next week. We will continue to provide at least weekly updates of our progress at usmle.org and ecfmg.org.
Step 2 CS
We are dedicated to finding a testing solution for Step 2 CS that assures the safety of examinees and standardized patients as our top priority. We have a dedicated team exploring innovative and disruptive solutions to resume Step 2 CS examinations. This includes options that alleviate the need to travel to examination centers. We expect to have more news next week.
Working together, we can respond to the challenges wrought by the COVID pandemic and ensure the continued excellence of America’s future physicians.
Peter J. Katsufrakis, M.D., M.B.A. President and CEO, National Board of Medical Examiners
William W. Pinsky, M.D., FAAP, FACC President and CEO, ECFMG|FAIMER Chair, Board of Trustees, FAIMER Professor (Hon.), University of Queensland
A Message to Applicants—ECFMG|FAIMER is Open and Processing Your Applications
We are pleased to confirm that ECFMG|FAIMER programs and services continue to operate. Our staff members are working to process your applications and service requests, and our representatives are answering phone and e-mail inquiries as quickly as possible.
Physicians who use our programs and services should continue to submit applications and other service requests as they would normally. This will help ensure sufficient processing time and your readiness for next steps, as they become available, in pursuing ECFMG Certification, J-1 visa sponsorship (if applicable), and U.S. graduate medical education (GME).
ECFMG continues to process Applications for ECFMG Certification and applications for the United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®) step components required for Certification, and to verify medical education credentials.
- USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK): Prometric test centers around the world are open or are beginning to reopen. We are aware that Prometric has provided inaccurate information about the status of some of its test centers, causing confusion and additional difficulties for some examinees. The leadership of the USMLE program and ECFMG are in daily contact with Prometric to ensure an immediate resolution to this situation.
- USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS): Work is underway to formalize a plan to resume USMLE Step 2 CS testing, and applicants with canceled testing appointments are receiving regular e-mail updates.
- We continue to verify medical education credentials with international medical schools, although there are some pockets of service disruptions. To support institutions that are working remotely, ECFMG is leveraging electronic communications to stay connected, facilitate the verification process, and minimize disruption of services for our applicants.
- Applicants seeking an ECFMG Certificate to begin U.S. GME programs in summer 2020 should expect their certificate to be issued in time to start their programs. ECFMG has been in contact with medical schools to ensure that individuals who meet ECFMG Certification requirements will be issued an ECFMG Certificate.
ECFMG is actively processing applications for J-1 visa sponsorship for participation in U.S. GME programs that begin in summer 2020.
- U.S. embassies and consulates worldwide have resumed processing of applications and visa appointments for medical professionals, including the J-1 Visa. More >>
- The U.S. Department of State has provided additional flexibility regarding the Statement of Need letter for J-1 Visa sponsorship. More >>
- President Trump’s Presidential Proclamation issued on April 22, 2020 does not affect physicians or their dependents who are on or applying for J-1 Visa sponsorship. More >>
- Applicants who experience challenges during the application process should contact the Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Department at EVSPemail@example.com or +215-823-2121 for assistance.