Capacity Building Workshop, March 2017
Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and other Health Professions
CAPACITY BUILDING WORKSHOP
March 20-22, 2017
The Courtyard Marriott, Barbados
Against the background of the implementation of revised medical education standards effective in 2018, the number of off-shore medical schools in the Caribbean submitting for accreditation for the first time and the number of recent cases of accreditation being denied, there is a need to promote capacity-building within schools to enhance their ability to:
- evaluate their readiness for accreditation
- interpret the requirements of the standards
- understand the elements of a well-designed curriculum
To address these issues, CAAM-HP will hold a 2½-day workshop in Barbados in March 2017. Using the revised standards as a starting point, the workshop will provide guidance to schools and strengthen their capacity to prepare for and evaluate the outcome of the accreditation process.
The major goal of the workshop is the improved quality of medical education in the Caribbean region. The focus is the implementation of capacity-building opportunities for medical schools around the following themes: preparation for the accreditation process; interpretation and application of medical education standards; curriculum design; and self-evaluation against the standards.
- understand the requirements of the revised medical education standards
- identify important characteristics of a good medical education curriculum
- evaluate the readiness of their institution for an accreditation visit
- understand how CAAM-HP assesses schools against the standards
- critically assess the possible outcomes of an accreditation visit
- read the Site Visit Reports with greater understanding of the issues identified
The workshop will be held at the Courtyard Marriott situated in The Garrison Historic Area, Hastings, Christ Church, Bridgetown, Barbados.
- Plenary sessions
- A Global Perspective on Medical Education and Accreditation.
- The ECFMG.
- Professionalising Medical Education.
- Students’ Perspectives on Accreditation.
- Accreditation Process- Document Preparation.
- CAAM-HP Standards for Medicine.
- Surveyors’ Feedback.